The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Interesting post about raid awareness

Moderators: Sumsion, Schmo

Kyte

Interesting post about raid awareness

Post by Kyte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:21 am

As the title states, I found a post someone did on their personal blog about raid awareness. It's a very interesting read, and it makes a lot of very good points. Some things a lot of us (myself included) could take from it, things to consider and such.

Anyway, I really think we should all give it a read.

---------------->Click me!!!<----------------

Deded
Member 2 years
Member 2 years

Re: Interesting post about raid awareness

Post by Deded » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 am

Great article especially for those who are a little less experienced at raiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xoui

Post by Xoui » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 am

I'm certain every single one of those quotes has been said by me verbatim before. Glad you believe some stranger before me, though. :lol:

Cataclysm

Post by Cataclysm » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Xoui wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 am
I'm certain every single one of those quotes has been said by me verbatim before. Glad you believe some stranger before me, though.
Who are you?

4gotnsun
Member 4 years
Member 4 years

Post by 4gotnsun » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm not afraid to admit that I die on bosses, which almost always is my fault. I'll tunnel, I'll be focusing on when to use a certain spell instead of mechanics, or I just plain messed up. I'll never blame the healers or the RL as it is, as I said before, usually my fault. For example, this week--now I'll preface this that I'm still learning the encounters--I can raid maybe once a week at best. I can watch all the videos on YouTube, but I need to fail. It's how I've always learned, it's how I'll continue to learn--I died on Scorpion dude, because I wanted to be near a rock, but didn't seem to notice that Mint had turned the boss, to pick up adds, and the boss facerolled me; lesson learned. Secondly, on Trilliax, I stood too close to the boss, he turned on annihilate and I got owned. Now I know to stand closer to his mid to anticipate the turn.

Also as a Ele Shaman, any movement kills my dps and requires planning. So I spend a lot of the fights trying to figure out when and where I should be using Icefury/Frostshock as that allows for our best opportunity to do dps on the run. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for the share.
Borders - 110 Shaman
Fourgotnsun - 110 Mage
Toolshed - 110 Warrior
Bryzzo - 110 Demon Hunter

Xoui

Post by Xoui » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:40 pm

That is a really good point about "needing" to fail, Borders.

I'm the same way, the only way I learn how to do better at a raid encounter is to mess it up so I know what *not* to do. And that applies to everything, not just survival.

The Guarm encounter is a really good personal example for me. That fight is just about 6 minutes long, and at the time Crusade was a 2 minute cooldown. For the longest time I was using Crusade at the beginning when the boss was stationary, and once more toward the end at a burn phase when it was stationary. Over time I realized I need to be popping that CD asap, even if Guarm ran way halfway through the CD, it brought my effective Crusade usage up to 2 1/2 uses during Guarm, instead of just 2. This made a big difference in my total damage and it took a lot of pulls doing disappointing dps to figure out how to get better.

sonickat

Post by sonickat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:23 am

I literally just ran across this blog post myself, hadn't seen it before. Did a search before posting the link and found this thread.

The guy who wrote this article was a player when he wrote it but my understanding is he's now a Developer for Blizzard per the Dreamgrove discord.

This was a really good read, long but well worth it in my opinion, even for someone like me whose spent a lot of time raiding over the years articles like this are still valuable to reflect on and I always walk away with something new when I revisit them.

Torvi

Post by Torvi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:13 am

Lol This is such an old thread though - not saying the info is bad but it freaked me out a bit to see those names pop up in the forums

supernaut

Post by supernaut » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am

Yeah, Torvi. So we were progressing through nighthold, so I am guessing it was in response to either Spellblade, Botanist, or Elisande.