The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Pac Man (By Hank)

Moderators: Sumsion, Schmo

Cataclysm

Pac Man (By Hank)

Post by Cataclysm » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:11 pm

I want to start by apologizing for having the Phase 1 strategy wrong last night. I was under the impression that Acid Torrent had changed since early beta to not be as harsh, and I was wrong.

Acid Torrent
100 yd range
Instant
Sprays a cone of acid at a ranged target, inflicting 212500 Physical damage to the closest target and increases the damage Acid Torrent deals by 212500 for 20 sec. All other targets take 212500 Nature damage reduced by the closest target's total damage mitigation.

I believe we have the proper strategy for it now, and moving forward we should be fine.

What I want to discuss here is Phase 2, which there seemed to be a lot of confusion about. Again, I don't think that I've properly explained it, but for Thursday I wish to rectify the situation and get this PITA knocked out.

So what happens during Phase 2?

Once Oregorger reaches 0 energy he starts rolling around the room and consuming ore until his energy fills up, at which point he will go back into Phase 1.

He refills his energy by consuming the ore that is housed in the crates that spawn. He will only consume exposed ore, so we need to 'kill' the ore crates to open them. We want him to get out of this phase as quickly as possible because the raid-wide damage from Earthshaking Collision will increase the longer he is in Phase 2.

The biggest problem we had last night was getting in his path. When he is rolling, if he hits you, he will deal around 200k damage to you and stun you. We need to avoid that as much as possible with the hope that ZERO people get hit by it.

There are only 8 paths Oregorger will take.

Which means there are 8 potential impact points.

You can think of these impact points in groups of two, as they share potential paths.

One of the biggest problems is getting caught in one of the outer paths, as it takes a long time to get around, and he is only ever two rolls away from taking any of the outer paths.

Since we have to split up the raid to get the boxes opened as quickly as possible, each individual is responsible for knowing where Oregorger is for the duration of Phase 2. And above that, each individual is responsible for knowing his potential paths from where he currently is.

Let's look at a scenario that can cover up to four potential rolls. Say Oregorger just landed at one of these two impact points...

His next roll will be one of these two potential paths, resulting in one of these two impact points.

And from those points he has two more potential paths...

From this we can determine that when Oregorger is at a specific set of impact sites, there are certain outer paths that are temporarily 'safe'... at least for a few seconds.

The other thing I wanted to talk about was healer positioning. A problem we were experiencing was lack of healer availability. To remedy this issue, Thursday we are going to set up healer zones. I want to make sure we have a healer covering each of these zones at all times, which should keep a healer no more than a few seconds away from being in range, and as a DPS you will only be vulnerable when you are on one of the outer paths.

We need to be VERY mindful of our posiitoning relative to Oregorger, and like I said before, it is the responsibility of each individual to stay out of his path. If you have any questions or feel like I haven't covered part of this enough, please ask me questions! If you don't feel comfortable taking an outer path, don't do it, or follow someone that seems to have a better grasp on his pathing. Certain classes with movement abilities are better suited for taking the outer paths. If you are a slower class, or have a movement ability on cooldown, don't take an outer path unless it's one of the 'safe' paths at that point, and even then you only have 10-12 seconds to spend on that path before he can potentially take it.

With just some minor tweaking I think we'll be able to get this guy down without too much fuss Thursday night and we can move on to the harder bosses.

Every encounter in Blackrock Foundry is going to take a very high degree of personal situational awareness, and any individual struggling with that is going to make it exceedingly difficult the further we get into the zone. All of this seems really hard now, but after a while it will all become second nature and we'll be pros. If you are struggling now, ask for help.

4gotnsun
Member 4 years
Member 4 years

Re: Pac Man (By Hank)

Post by 4gotnsun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:11 pm

This video was towards the bottom of the post by Hank. I found it highly informative and seems rather easy. I think the hardest part will be keeping the group together.

Borders - 110 Shaman
Fourgotnsun - 110 Mage
Toolshed - 110 Warrior
Bryzzo - 110 Demon Hunter

Ammi

Post by Ammi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:10 pm

That video was very informative! Lets hope its that easy!

Nionya
Director of COG
Director of COG

Post by Nionya » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Good Luck, guys!