Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Healing Mouseover Macro

Moderators: Sumsion, Schmo

Slayor
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Healing Mouseover Macro

Post by Slayor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:53 am

For anybody that is interested in my healing mouseover macro... this is what I use:

#showtooltip Spell Name
/cast [target=mouseover] Spell Name

Example: Healing Touch

#showtooltip Healing Touch
/cast [target=mouseover] Healing Touch

Hank
Member 3 years
Member 3 years

Re: Healing Mouseover Macro

Post by Hank » Tue May 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Love Love LOVE mouseover macros for healing (among other things).

Mine are just a bit different so I figure I will post them.

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@player] <Spell Name>

How it's different:
If you have a mouseover on a friendly that isn't dead it will cast the spell on that character. Else, if you have a friendly targeted that isn't dead it will cast on that character. Lastly, if neither of those conditions are met, it will cast on you.

If you want to get fancy and put your rez on your main heal (to eliminate a button) you can do something like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead] <Spell Name>;
[@mouseover,help,dead][help,dead] <Rez Spell Name>;
[@player] <Spell Name>

Though this one can potentially get you in trouble if you have a dead friendly on the mouseover, or targeted, and you are trying to heal yourself.

Gorgonax
Member 3 years
Member 3 years

Post by Gorgonax » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:27 am

I wanted to post something Sandra uses a lot..

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/clique

Its basically the same as the mouse over macros and there are a lot of options such as heal bot etc that do basically the same thing.

Macros work great too..

What ever your flavor is having a mouse over healing option vs clicking on the person then casting the heal is massive and supper important to take your healing to the next lvl.
-Proudmoore
Odregn-Paladin (A90), Gorgonax-Warrior (A100), Corvonox-DK (H100)

-EVE Online
Corvonax

gilroykilroy
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gilroykilroy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Gorgonax wrote:What ever your flavor is having a mouse over healing option vs clicking on the person then casting the heal is massive and supper important to take your healing to the next lvl.
It all depends upon your style. Me, I use raid/group frames, select the person and hit the appropriate heal key. Never had to worry about any addon not working or not updated(*)

I haven't received many complaints on my healing that way in the past 10+ years... ;)

(*) OK, a few years back Blizzard's raid UI wasn't as nice as it is today so I did use a raid frame addon but not these days. But I still never did any click/hover healing.

Ehgi
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by Ehgi » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Personally I really love using Sandra's Addon, I used to be more of a click and heal person but using the mouse over macro definitely enables me to get more heals out faster.

Gorgonax
Member 3 years
Member 3 years

Post by Gorgonax » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:50 am

No no, I get it. I'm not saying you cant heal with out addons, or with out mouse overs (^_^). Im not saying you cant heal by clicking on a person then casting. Both are viable and will work.

But here is a fun bit of math..

Average progression fight = 6 min.. = 360 seconds.

Average spell 2 seconds cast +/- based on haste etc.. But we are doing easy math. The faster your spells cast the more this slides in favor of mouse over stuff.

Clicking on the person then pushing the button.. = about .5 seconds.. Lets say even if your amazing fast then its .25 seconds.

360 seconds of fight time / 2 seconds per spell = 180 casts.
360 seconds of fight time / 2.25 seconds per spell due to extra press. 160 casts..

20 spells across the fight with most spells being about 14k = 280,000 extra healing = 777 HPS (^_^) more.

Its not a huge increase but its still a numerical advantage that adds up. This isn't taking into account ae healing etc as there is a LOT more healers do. This is just a very simple numbers expression. The more spells you cast in a given fight the more pronounced this becomes.

As i said every one has their own play style. With addons, with out addons. Mouse over macros no mouse over macros clicking etc..

To each his or her own, But I challenge every one to try it once or twice and see if they notice a diff in ease of play. Takes some time to set up. But i swear its worth it.

Any by try it i mean ANY method of mouse over casting. Be it macro (which wont break during patches etc) or an addon.
-Proudmoore
Odregn-Paladin (A90), Gorgonax-Warrior (A100), Corvonox-DK (H100)

-EVE Online
Corvonax

gilroykilroy
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gilroykilroy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Casting has a 1 second GCD so if you can select someone in less than a second you are golden.

Dhaxis
Member 3 years
Member 3 years

Post by Dhaxis » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:09 am

I don't personally use addons or a mouseover macro for my healing. I do how ever have an extensive amount of binds and the only thing I click are the people I am healing via the standard raid ui. I think the best take away from this is that while mouseover is technically speaking a superior style in terms of the raw math, I agree more with Gil and think that so long as you can select your target within a second the difference between styles is negligible.

However, I was not always a healer healing with this method, I used to love using grid and clique, which were effectively a smaller raid ui and a mouseover macro addon and certainly don't think lesser of somebody who does prefer addons like that.

The main reason I shifted in style of play is because the way I currently play (90% of abilities are bound via a combination of an mmo keyboard and mouse) also translates well to playing say my druid tank or my hunter in terms of how I approach it.