The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Combat Synergy

Omyz
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Combat Synergy

Post by Omyz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:33 pm

A bit of background first. In the majority of my gaming life I either play a tank or a healer. I also only tank for guildmates, because I really honestly have a hard time trusting anyone else to heal. Every time I've tried to play dps, I end up popping to my healer :).

So with that said, this time around I am trying to put my healing instincts aside and instead concentrate on just a tank. (still cannot dps :) )

And I probably made a huge mistake last night leveling my Pali up as an alt for crafting, because the synergy in their skillset blew me away vs what I feel in the guardian.

Don't get me wrong, the guardian is a blast to play, but I don't feel like a tank with blocks and taunts, feels more like a dps off tank. Maybe it's only being early 20's. On the Pali I felt the tactics just seem to automatically flow into the other, I didn't have to think about which one to use. I went from 3 to 15 in a few hours and felt fully comfortable.

The Guardian I have to think about every combat move and where it is in the chain(s) even though I have played her longer and been through rougher battles just based on learning the game.

It's like for the Palli my brain is saying 'Yes that is just right, that move is where I would expect it to be, where I would have placed it if I had control"
While the Guardian my brain is saying 'wtf is going on.. oh ya.. I have to be in charge for that .. oops wait .. need to flip.. grumble growl'

I cannot pick out specific moves, I can only try to communicate the 'feel'
--without War there is no Peace

Xafir
Member 4 years
Member 4 years

Re: Combat Synergy

Post by Xafir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

I have played both to 45 and I can say both the guardian and paladin flow quite well honestly. The thing you need to realize about both of these classes though is that neither of them unlocks the key stances for their role until much later in the game (post 30).

Prior to that point the paladin can't heal anyone but themselves very well and the guardian is a tanky DPS with some really nice defensive cooldowns. After that point though both of them come into their own roles, with the defensive stances guardians get really tanky (but as a trade off do crappy damage) and paladins likewise unlock healing, but their healing stances have no DPS abilities.

It is fine if guardian is just not for you though. Don't force yourself to play something you are not enjoying, but if you stick to the guardian you can look forward to more defensive abilities,taunts, group heals etc (just no AOE taunt gotta go back to old school single target taunt swapping).

Omyz
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Re: Combat Synergy

Post by Omyz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks for the response,

It's probably the level then, like a real life 'Tween' I haven't experienced enough of the Guardian's complete play style.

Not giving up on her by a long shot.
--without War there is no Peace