The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Black Screen of Death

Trystant
Member 6 years
Member 6 years

Black Screen of Death

Post by Trystant » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Lately while playing, my game will crash to a black screen on the video and I can still hear everything going on in game, just the video crashes. I have looked for solutions everywhere and have uninstalled and reinstalled the game 4 times, updated all my video drivers but nothing has worked yet. If I can not find a solution, I will unfortunately not be able to play the game which is frustrating for me as this has been a pretty cool game so far. Also the crashes did not start happening til open beta. I was good throughout all closed betas and early access.

Anti Hero
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Re: Black Screen of Death

Post by Anti Hero » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 pm

What version of windows are you using? A quick google search brought up a ton of people complaining about issues with windows 7

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Rhumor
Member 2 years
Member 2 years

Post by Rhumor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:37 pm

With my limited tech knowledge it kinda sounds like you're GPU could be overheating and shutting down to cool off. I've had that happen a few times before and the screen would go black but the monitor wouldn't go into sleep mode. Then after about a minute the GPU would restart.

Trystant
Member 6 years
Member 6 years

Post by Trystant » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Windows 10 and I can play any other game I have without any issues. It is just RO that my screen will crash on.

Anti Hero
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by Anti Hero » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 pm

I know that you said you uninstalled and reinstalled a handful of times. When you did so did you do it from the my.com launcher or did you delete everything and start from scratch? If you didn't delete everything related to Revelation I would try that, don't just uninstall the game, get rid of everything. Unfortunately I don't have a better answer right now, hopefully you can get it sorted out soon.

Creed
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Creed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Trystant wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:55 pm
Lately while playing, my game will crash to a black screen on the video and I can still hear everything going on in game, just the video crashes. I have looked for solutions everywhere and have uninstalled and reinstalled the game 4 times, updated all my video drivers but nothing has worked yet. If I can not find a solution, I will unfortunately not be able to play the game which is frustrating for me as this has been a pretty cool game so far. Also the crashes did not start happening til open beta. I was good throughout all closed betas and early access.
Thats definitely an over heating issue. Just make sure all the fans are spinning in the entire case and also blow the dust out of the case from time to time. Heat and dust are the nemesis of a computer and will cause issues like this. These kind of problems can be sometimes associated with certain games that are graphic intensive. I can remember a few closed beta sessions of RO that even pushed my rig a bit more than all the other games i played (optimizations) and i had to make video card adjustments to compensate. You didnt mention how long your play session is until the black screen occurs. Same intervals? Different intervals?

If you're running the game graphically wide open then turn some of the lesser needed ones down or off. Shadows and water effects in any game are the biggest resource hogs.....turn those down or turn them off.
"You have brought me pain and torment. I will return the favor."

Anti Hero
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by Anti Hero » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Do you have any overclocking/monitoring tools? If not I would download one so you can see what your temps are doing. I like afterburner but there are other options if you dont like that one.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Trystant
Member 6 years
Member 6 years

Post by Trystant » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 pm

I can promise it is not an overheating issue as I can play Black Desert on higher settings and nothing happens, but with RO on min. settings, I still get the black screen. Computer is water cooled as well. I will try to completely uninstall my.com stuff and RO and then start over that way and see if that helps.

Creed
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Creed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:15 pm

The only thing i can suggest....if you're certain you dont have a over heating issue, is to go back one version or perhaps an older version of your vid card driver. Sometimes the latest isnt the greatest...especially on a client thats still being tested. It cant hurt to try anyway.

One final note....when you reload the driver, keep the settings at default. Dont crank the settings up just yet and see how the game performs.

You have a strange problem there. Report back when you find the solution.
"You have brought me pain and torment. I will return the favor."

Trystant
Member 6 years
Member 6 years

Post by Trystant » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:03 pm

If I can ever find a solution, I will lol. But for tonight, it will have to wait. Thanks all.