The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Scaling

Cambios

Re: Scaling

Post by Cambios » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I think it will be fine once they:

Fix the scaling so more important stats/values actually scale. For example:

1) Support shields don't seem to be scaling. So a scaled up support is giving the tank a crappy shield.

2) There appear to be some hidden defensive stats not scaling up, because even playing a maxed out class you can get utterly destroyed when you scale up.

Perhaps they need some kind of minimum for tanks (and/or supports) before they can use group finder.

I think the core problem is that there is a "minimum viable" prestige/class development point that is kinda critical. If someone lacks the core abilities and talents for their class, they are going to stink even if they get scaled up. Even a 30k prestige player on a new class that has no abilities/talents is going to be pretty useless once they are scaled up.

They might need to figure out something where you can't queue group finder if you don't have at least X number of core nodes unlocked in the class you have active.

All in all, I am very glad they have this. It was a bummer having to play an alt-account just to be able to play with my daughter. It was also a bummer that most of the time playing with pantheon members there was always a few people not getting gear.

The system just needs some fine tuning and then I think it will be pretty great.

Sera
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Re: Scaling

Post by Sera » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:34 pm

There's a misconception there as well.

1) Scaled shields are fine, the problem is you rely on them leveling up and at high prestige the method to tank drastically changes. At high prestige you get to choose one of three options as a tank: CC, kite, die. Shields are useless even without prestige scaling, the only thing they can prevent is some incidental damage usually from bosses but the whole challenge of an instance is the trash to get to the boss, not the boss itself. Problem being of course that the group finder always scales the instance up to the highest prestige which often breaks the barrier between "shields save me all the time" and "shield, you had a shield on?".

2) I don't see or feel there's a hidden defense mechanic. I simply have more health now and hit much harder. Therefore my health bar moves down visually slower and I can take more hits; also stuff dies much faster. But as far as I can remember, nothing hits lighter. This is very easy to test, next time someone (anyone) feels that an instance is destroying them and they can't do it as me to join you to clear it. We won't scale the instance and we'll see how hard trash hits you then how hard it hits me. The numbers should be identical if I'm right, or if there's a hidden defense stat the numbers will be drastically different.

Great example today, this morning we ran Kuat-Lien and we scaled it up (qq 2745 prof drops). I know the instance very well but on the second trash pack I forgot to tell everyone about the Imps of Destruction (aptly named) and forgot that there was one that's in that pack. I blinked and lost 250k life (with 25% mitigation up), used whiplash to res and promptly lost 250k life again all in about 15 seconds. Every time after that I mentioned when an imp was included and we prioritized it with cc, no more wipes after that.