The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Skyforge Stream

SoulGuardian
Member 8 years
Member 8 years

Skyforge Stream

Post by SoulGuardian » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm

I was bummed that I missed this stream-especially since they were giving away beta keys. But watch this video, it has a lot information about the
game, and if you are on the fence about checking it out or not, I'm pretty sure this stream will convince you to check it out!

http://www.twitch.tv/officialskyforge/v/3805696

Nionya
Director of COG
Director of COG

Re: Skyforge Stream

Post by Nionya » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:34 pm

This looks promising. I will be trying it as soon as I can snag a beta, or it goes into open beta :)

shadowfyre2
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by shadowfyre2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:39 pm

i was excited but as I watched the stream earlier, I had a thought that makes me wonder if it will hold my interest. With the game seeming to be centered on gathering followers, gaining skills and unlocking classes, and what looks like a dungeon crawl style questing system, I just don't know if i will play for long. I am into a strong storyline. I don't see much in they way of a storyline. I also wonder about if there is enough of a variety of quests to go through that i wont get board with repeating the same set of dungeons over and over. I know they aren't called dungeons, but is seems that is what they are just the same. It is more like the end game of a mmorpg where you cap your level then repeat the dungeons trying to get better gear or more alternate achievement points to spend but no new content to explore. I guess we will see, my interest in this game is already waning.

SoulGuardian
Member 8 years
Member 8 years

Post by SoulGuardian » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am

shadowfyre2 wrote: I am into a strong storyline. I don't see much in they way of a storyline. I also wonder about if there is enough of a variety of quests to go through that i wont get board with repeating the same set of dungeons over and over. I know they aren't called dungeons, but is seems that is what they are just the same. It is more like the end game of a mmorpg where you cap your level then repeat the dungeons trying to get better gear or more alternate achievement points to spend but no new content to explore. I guess we will see, my interest in this game is already waning.

I have been thinking about what you said a lot lately because I have the same concerns. But honestly, the more I thought about it, the more fascinated I became. This is what I came up with: you can choose any place on the planet as a "dungeon", but in the beginning you are going to be limited by which ones you can pick- either from your prestige being too low, or because you don't have a group and can only solo- but you still have a choice. This means the game isn't totally linear, but it does mean they can give you bits and pieces of the story through these dungeons. So, in my mind, I'm thinking of this game as a mild "choose your own adventure story". It won't force you to go from point A to point B and so forth, but by picking dungeons for their rewards, they are using loot to lure you into ALL the dungeons, so eventually you will gather all the pieces and see some sort of story line.

Or another idea- every dungeon is its own short story, based in this science fiction world, with every story showing the player how deep and rich the Skyforge universe can be.

Hopefully this makes sense. And honestly I do like this system, because if you find a dungeon you like early on, you can always go back(even with a group) because that dungeon will scale with your party/gear. And if you think of the game as a collection of short stories, you can always do back and reread your favorite. :)

Lastly, I think the world events will help spice this system up, especially if they refresh the map every 45 mins.

shadowfyre2
Member 5 years
Member 5 years

Post by shadowfyre2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am

maybe you're right. I will probably give it a chance. I haven't seen enough about he world events to even have an opinion on that part of the game yet.