The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Builds

Zippity
Member 7 years
Member 7 years

Builds

Post by Zippity » Wed May 14, 2014 2:57 am

Well, I was doing a bit of theory crafting for my Engineer when the game goes live, and I wanted to not just be a cookie cutter DPS Engineer, but want to add in a bit of Team Utility as well... So here is what I've come up with:

http://ws-base.com/builds/view/3188-PvE ... S_Engineer

Anyone else have some builds they are thinking of going with for their toons? Not counting any gear...

Zip

Livnthedream

Re: Builds

Post by Livnthedream » Wed May 14, 2014 3:21 am

Both of the front runners for Engineer dps currently use Bioshell, and if you really need the group cd you can switch out Volatile Injection.

Personally I prefer the 7477 build over 588.

7477 build http://ws-base.com/builds/generator/eng ... 08.616.936

588 build http://ws-base.com/builds/generator/eng ... 08.616.936

Zippity
Member 7 years
Member 7 years

Post by Zippity » Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Livnthedream wrote:Both of the front runners for Engineer dps currently use Bioshell, and if you really need the group cd you can switch out Volatile Injection.

Personally I prefer the 7477 build over 588.

7477 build http://ws-base.com/builds/generator/eng ... 08.616.936

588 build http://ws-base.com/builds/generator/eng ... 08.616.936
The issue I see with both these builds using Bioshell as a DPS Engineer, when in a group, is that Bioshell is a Tanking Assault Power, because it generates additional Threat... And as a DPS on a Team, you don't want to purposefully generate threat... For soloing it's probably fine, because you are their target anyway... But on a team, Bioshell is a no-no...

On my build I avoided going 8 in any power mostly because most of the Tier 8 abilities for the powers I wanted seemed lack-luster for the point investment... I was better off going with more 4's...

Zip

Azidex
Member 4 years
Member 4 years

Post by Azidex » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm

the instant cast bio shell is why it is so good. The threat gen is minimal when i have used it. When it comes to dpsing using pulse blast is a waste imo. Bio shell and energy auger generate enough when you have volatility rising....

Livnthedream

Post by Livnthedream » Wed May 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Azidex wrote:the instant cast bio shell is why it is so good. The threat gen is minimal when i have used it. When it comes to dpsing using pulse blast is a waste imo. Bio shell and energy auger generate enough when you have volatility rising....
^ This. Without the additional threat modifier from stance the threat it generates is minimal.

Zippity
Member 7 years
Member 7 years

Post by Zippity » Thu May 15, 2014 1:50 am

Without a No-Cooldown Builder, what are you firing off to build Volatility while waiting the 6 and 10 seconds for Energy Auger and Bio Shell to come off cooldown?

Even with the 15% cooldown reduction from Amps, and the 1.5 second ticks of 7 Vol from Amps (only while between 30 and 70 Vol), you will have lag times between shots to build up Vol with no builder available... What will you be doing during those moments between cooldowns prior to using the Vol to fire Electrocute?

Perhaps I'm missing something?

For me personally, I like to have a power I can continuously fire off, while waiting for other powers to come off cooldown... Having moments where you have no ability to fire off means lack of constant damage output... You become more of a Burst DPS without some power to fire off at all times...

I can see how Bio and Auger are decent supplemental builders, but I don't think they were intended to be your only builders...

The only real downside I see to Pulse Blast is it's short range...

Zip

Livnthedream

Post by Livnthedream » Thu May 15, 2014 4:59 am

Zippity wrote:Without a No-Cooldown Builder, what are you firing off to build Volatility while waiting the 6 and 10 seconds for Energy Auger and Bio Shell to come off cooldown?

Even with the 15% cooldown reduction from Amps, and the 1.5 second ticks of 7 Vol from Amps (only while between 30 and 70 Vol), you will have lag times between shots to build up Vol with no builder available... What will you be doing during those moments between cooldowns prior to using the Vol to fire Electrocute?

For me personally, I like to have a power I can continuously fire off, while waiting for other powers to come off cooldown... Having moments where you have no ability to fire off means lack of constant damage output... You become more of a Burst DPS without some power to fire off at all times...

I can see how Bio and Auger are decent supplemental builders, but I don't think they were intended to be your only builders...

Zip
You never drop below ~50% Volatility thanks to Volatility Rising. You should be canceling out of Electrocute anyway because its less dps than Energy Augur/Bioshell. Worst case, if you do drop below 30 you just dash for another 20 and you are back on track.

I don't feel these builds are going to last very long for the simple reason that they both rather effectively ignore Volatility entirely because our spenders suck.

sahmiam
COG Member
COG Member

Post by sahmiam » Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 am

Zippity wrote:Without a No-Cooldown Builder, what are you firing off to build Volatility while waiting the 6 and 10 seconds for Energy Auger and Bio Shell to come off cooldown?

Zip
There is no waiting. While dps'ing you always have something to press. You start the fight with EA, instant bioshell, electrocute, hitting quickburst when it procs. EA will be up when you are around 40 Vol, you fire that again, electrocute until back under 60'ish then bioshell. Rinse repeat.

You try to time volatile injection with an instant bioshell if possible as it is the largest direct hit, but you also want quick burst off of cooldown if possible to avoid wasting the proc.

I use a slightly different build because I like the repair bot.

Shield bot build

As for the threat gen of bioshell... Yeah, it's a non issue. In reality, it is only there to stop us from being the absolute boss when it comes to soloing. Without the extra little oomph from bio shell I would never pull off of my bruiser while soloing.