The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Elder Scrolls Theology

20 years of ES makes for a lot of history.
JohnnyMac

Elder Scrolls Theology

Post by JohnnyMac » Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 am

I've always been fascinated by the religions of Tamriel. Most systems of belief on Earth are mutually exclusive, therefore a person can only logically believe in one or fewer religions/spiritual philosophies. What I love about the Elder Scrolls series is how different the religious conflicts tend to be than our own. No one argues about which religion is real because they're all real.

To my point: Not sure if anyone gets as geeked about the mythology of this series as I do, but I just found this book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Past-Skys-Rim-Scr ... 988930528/

Past the Sky's Rim: The Elder Scrolls and Theology by Joshua Wise

"The Elder Scrolls series has entranced gamers for two decades with its deep mythology, complex history, and intriguing locations. Players have explored a world in The Elder Scrolls rich with kings, demons, heroes, magic, and gods. Past the Sky's Rim: The Elder Scrolls and Theology engages with the world from the perspective of academic theology and religious studies. Within these pages, scholars ask what it means to become a god, to die alone in the solitude of Vvardenfell, and to live in a world with different afterlives for different people. Attempting to move beyond a shallow engagement, Past the Sky's Rim considers Video Games as serious media capable of transmitting important ideas to those who engage with them and invites readers to think more deeply about what games can say about ultimate realities."

... I may have already ordered it.
Attachments
McNamara Forum Signature.png
McNamara Forum Signature.png (313.45 KiB) Viewed 5452 times

Sammycakes
Member 4 years
Member 4 years

Re: Elder Scrolls Theology

Post by Sammycakes » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:58 pm

JohnnyMac wrote:I've always been fascinated by the religions of Tamriel. Most systems of belief on Earth are mutually exclusive, therefore a person can only logically believe in one or fewer religions/spiritual philosophies. What I love about the Elder Scrolls series is how different the religious conflicts tend to be than our own. No one argues about which religion is real because they're all real.

To my point: Not sure if anyone gets as geeked about the mythology of this series as I do, but I just found this book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Past-Skys-Rim-Scr ... 988930528/

Past the Sky's Rim: The Elder Scrolls and Theology by Joshua Wise

"The Elder Scrolls series has entranced gamers for two decades with its deep mythology, complex history, and intriguing locations. Players have explored a world in The Elder Scrolls rich with kings, demons, heroes, magic, and gods. Past the Sky's Rim: The Elder Scrolls and Theology engages with the world from the perspective of academic theology and religious studies. Within these pages, scholars ask what it means to become a god, to die alone in the solitude of Vvardenfell, and to live in a world with different afterlives for different people. Attempting to move beyond a shallow engagement, Past the Sky's Rim considers Video Games as serious media capable of transmitting important ideas to those who engage with them and invites readers to think more deeply about what games can say about ultimate realities."

... I may have already ordered it.
Well one thing that I would say that makes it harder for religions on earth(or real world) is that they all claim to have the TRUTH( a belief in a god or creation that can only be absolute) so in the real world you not have more than 1 absolute truth because TRUTH can not contradict TRUTH so following that then only 1 TRUTH can be true and all others false. it is probably easier in a fantasy setting like Elder Scrolls to show multiple religion side by side with out conflict 1 cause it is fantasy and 2 none of them make a claim to absolute truth in a way that would contradict the others.

I personally love theology and apologetics so this stuff interests me as well.
PS4 Sammycake88
xbox one sammycakes88
When not playing Star Wars this is where I am at :)