The forums have been archived!
Please visit our Discord server: https://discord.gg/grievance

Tsetzuko

Tsetzuko
Member 4 years
Member 4 years

Tsetzuko

Post by Tsetzuko » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 pm

This will be long, so for those that take the time to read it, thanks in advance. If you do skip anything, MMO History is the section least relevant to Grievance, Wildstar, and my desire to join your guild.

About Me
I'm 26, married, and have 2 dogs and 1 cat. I'm the only male in the house, outnumbered 4 to 1 (our plants are probably female too). I've been gaming since Atari days and playing MMOs for about a decade. I recently finished over 3 years of service in the US Air Force and am currently preparing to start school, most likely for accounting.

Hobbies
I'm a pretty avid board game player, having only recently gotten into the hobby I've already acquired a significant library of games and run a monthly board game night. I have also rediscovered the love of reading I had in my younger days and have been consuming books at a consistent rate - I finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson a few weeks back and it was one of the best books I've ever read. I'm also pretty web/computer savvy. Whoo~

MMO History
I started playing MMOs during "vanilla" WoW. I originally rolled a Alliance Night Elf Druid, but shortly dropped that and made a Horde Troll Hunter. I went on to roll multiple alts (Undead Warrior, Tauren Shaman, Tauren Druid), and spent the vast majority of my time in the game exploring and learning. I spent so much time immersed in the world on my various characters that I hadn't hit the level cap when the first expansion, The Burning Crusade (BC), was released.

I remember being so excited after watching the trailer for BC...YOU ARE NOT PREPARED! Right? I decided to crack down and get serious about reaching the level cap and seeing some end-game content. Prior to all of this, I had formed a guild of people who loved to run dungeons and we would literally just play dungeons over and over and over, leveling alts and trying new builds or trying to beat the dungeon in abnormal ways. I continued into BC with this same group of people and made it to 70 on both my Warrior and Druid. We then tackled heroic dungeons and even managed to get ourselves into Karazhan before our group drifted apart.

After our guild dispersed, I decided that I wanted to see all of the content that BC had to offer. I had missed out on raids in vanilla due to my altoholic tendencies and I wasn't going to repeat that again. So I pulled myself together, applied to a few hardcore raiding guilds and managed to fully experience every raid during BC with the exception of Black Temple (only saw part of that one). And I did it as a Boomkin, nonetheless.

That was the core of my WoW experience. I tried returning to the game during each expansion, getting pumped up for a month or two after release and then realizing that it just wasn't the same WoW. I didn't have the group of friends to enjoy the content with, and the dungeons/raids didn't have the challenge and level of difficulty I had learned to love. So I spent the next several years game hopping, never finding anything that could scratch my WoW itch. I've played dozens of MMOs, participated in plenty of betas, and even tried forming a few guilds again. All to no avail.

The last straw for me was Guild Wars 2. I thought it was THE GAME - the one that would rectify all the wrongs done by previous MMOs. The game that would get me hooked again. But, sadly, I was wrong. I spent a great deal of time and effort hyping the game pre-release, and forming a guild (that eventually reached around 80 active members). The game launched and we dove into what was a wonderful leveling experience. Unfortunately, we found that once we reached the end, a lot of what made us eager to be in a guild was gone. No large scale PvE content, no distinguished party roles, and the lack of gear progression (which we thought would be a fantastic change) completely turned us off from the game. Not that it's a bad game, it just wasn't the game we had actually wanted, regardless of what we thought. The guild disbanded, and I went back to my game hopping ways, disheartened over the fact that I had encouraged my friends to get excited about what eventually became a disappointment for us.

I don't entirely discredit my GW2 experience though. It taught me a lot of things. If WoW was one side of a coin, GW2 was the other, and I discovered that what I really wanted in a game didn't have anything to do with that coin. I needed a game to melt that coin down and reform it into something better. I think that Wildstar is capable of that feat. So here I am.

What I Love About MMOs
I don't mind PvP and Crafting, but I am a PvE fanatic at heart. I love tackling dungeons and raids. I'm not satisfied with beating content in the most efficient way possible - I also want to beat it in the most ridiculous way possible. I believe that players of skill can create challenges out of seemingly easy content. I love "just made it" moments, back from the brink of death heals, pro stuns, multitasking heroes of PvE mastery. I like the rush of adapting on the fly to difficult, dynamically changing enemies and environments. I like watching the tank go down (or being the tank that goes down) only to watch as the remaining team of individuals shows off their skill and dedication by outclassing the AI and laughing as they wipe the floor with dungeon trash. I love to EXCEL.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there, so let's refocus: I love community in MMOs. Having a group of people to share those aforementioned moments with - to talk about them years later, that's an invaluable and essential aspect of MMO gaming. I think that's something I can find here at Grievance.

Why WildStar?
Because I'm out of my mind with excitement about this game and they've barely told us anything? Because housing, raids, dungeons, the trinity, finally something that isn't high fantasy, awesome art direction, PvP that is essentially murder-focused housing, action combat and crazy telegraphs that require skill, subscription business model, I could go on and on. But you already know. You're here reading this, so you're just as excited as I am.

Why Grievance?
I touched on this before, but community is super important in MMOs. Grievance has been around for a long time, spans multiple games, and I'm sure they will be here if I ever hit the same wall in WildStar that I hit in WoW (I truly hope that doesn't happen). I like the focus on persistent content progression without having to turn gaming into a job. I'm someone who wants to see all the content a game has to offer, and I'm willing to do the work to get there. I don't, however, want to be forced to spend 8 hours a day rep grinding so we can beat that content before anyone else. I also like the fact that you are actively engaged in reaching out beyond the games themselves via newsletters, videos, and even your RL meetup. I think I can find a long lasting and meaningful place here, without sacrificing my life outside of the digital realm.

My Plans For WildStar
Preorder, 1yr sub, Collector's Edition...?

I'm not completely sold on either faction at the moment, though my percentage of interest is probably around 75/25 dominion/exiles. To go along with that, I'm not sold on a particular race either. Dominion side I dig everything except the Chua, and on the Exiles side I'm not a huge Aurin fan. I'm prepared for lovers of all things cute to cut me for that statement.

As far as classes go, I am leaning towards the Warrior or Spellslinger over the Esper or Stalker, though we still have to see what those last 2 classes are (come on Pax!). Either way I usually play a Tank or Healer as I tend to quickly grow bored with pure DPS. But, I'm flexible and open to filling needed positions in a guild, as I enjoy being the odd man out.

All around, I'm pretty undecided. In terms of Paths I'm thinking either Soldier or Settler. Tradeskills...well, we don't know much about them yet. I will do anything cooking related if that's an option.

In Closing
Alright, that's enough stuff about me. I hope that I get the chance to know some of you well and hope we can (a loooooong time from now) experience the wonder of WildStar together.

Hah! BONUS!
A couple of my favorite raiding moments:
Killing Prince Malchezaar to the Power Rangers theme song.
/dancing during raids as a Boomkin while someone played the Soulja Boy song over Vent.
All of Serpentshrine Caverns.

Mr.Puddlez

Re: Tsetzuko

Post by Mr.Puddlez » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Welcome....sounds like Kannon (dominion guild leader) has a great guy in his hands.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Xryus

Post by Xryus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you for taking the time to tell us so much. Always great to meet another former Air Force member. Though my main faction will be Exile, I will have a Dominion alt as well. I look forward to joining you in Wildstar.

Welcome to Grievance.

NightAngel
Member 8 years
Member 8 years

Post by NightAngel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Welcome to Grievance.

Kannon
Member 7 years
Member 7 years

Post by Kannon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I have to say that I love your app! Next, thank you for your service in the Air Force! Always appreciate a person that will serve our great country.

Welcome to the Grievance family! You are correct about community being a big part of the mmo experience, and if there is one thing Grievance has - it's a great wealth of people. Feel free to join us in Teamspeak to do some meets and greets. We are in several games to tide us over until Wildstar. I myself am going to try some Final Fantasy (if it become playable ....), but there are several others to poke your way into!

Steelheart

Post by Steelheart » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Very very nice read, and thank you for your service. Look forward to chatting with you in TS soon :)

Ehvayne
Member 6 years
Member 6 years

Post by Ehvayne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Loved reading about you! Another Sanderson fan is always good in my book ;) welcome to the family!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Kaedence
Member 7 years
Member 7 years

Post by Kaedence » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:04 am

Awesome app, welcome to Grievance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Padraic
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Padraic » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:26 am

Welcome to Grievance!
Keep your head on a swivel.

Streeg
Member 9 years
Member 9 years

Post by Streeg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 am

Welcome to the family!! I look forward to talking to you in teamspeak while we wait for beta :)